Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Mohammed: "I was responsible for...9/11"

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Khalid Sheikh Mohammed, the alleged mastermind of the September 11 attacks on the United States, has admitted responsibility for those and other major al Qaeda operations, according to the transcript of a hearing at Guantanamo Bay released on Wednesday.

"I was responsible for the 9/11 Operation, from A to Z," Mohammed, speaking through a personal representative, said according to the transcript of the hearing on Saturday at the U.S. military prison camp in Cuba released by the Pentagon.

Mohammed, a Pakistani national, also said he was responsible for a 1993 attack on New York's World Trade Center, the bombing of a nightclub in Bali, Indonesia, and an attempt to down two American airplanes using shoe bombs.

"I was the operational director for Sheikh Usama (Osama) Bin Laden for the organizing, planning, follow-up, and execution of the 9/11 operation," he said through his representative, a member of the U.S. military.
The transcript said Mohammed was present at the hearing, which is to determine whether he meets the definition of an "enemy combatant." Mohammed is among 14 prisoners identified by U.S. authorities as "high-value" terrorism suspects and transferred to Guantanamo last year from secret CIA prisons abroad.
He was arrested in Pakistan in March 2003 and handed over to the United States.

+
Chiquita: We Paid Terror Groups
+
Britain's parliament backed Prime Minister Tony Blair's plans to renew the country's nuclear arsenal on Wednesday as opposition votes helped Blair survive a major rebellion by members of his own party

+ Poland honours woman, 97, for saving Jewish children from Nazis

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

  DO NOT SUBMIT    Canadian Women's Army Corps.